Monday, March 9, 2009

Barring from University-study: Further cases, no accounting


Five articles from iranpresswatch.org regarding expulsion of Bahá'í students from universities in Iran. An
annual report on violations of the rights of Baha’i students in Iran can be read here.

Expelled Baha’i Student at Sahand University

Posted: 24 Mar 2009 11:57 AM PDT

sahand2Editor’s Note: Sama Noorani is an expelled Baha’i student from Sahand University in Tabriz and has contributed this piece about experience, which appears below in translation. For some background on this incident, please see: http://www.iranpresswatch.org/2009/03/expulsion-3-sahand/

By Sama Noorani

About thirty years ago — that is, ten years before I was born — the first group of Baha’i youth was prevented from studying at universities due to their beliefs. Among them was my mother who was expelled in her last term of study.

Since then, many years have passed — years that have witnessed changes and revolutions throughout the globe, particularly in the social and civil realms, including acquisition of lost rights and freedoms, establishment of standards of social justice, movement of societies towards allegiance to human rights. Unfortunately, despite all these, after the passage of thirty years, because of our belief in the Baha’i Faith many friends of mine and I are still deprived of our basic right to a higher education in Iran, our beloved homeland.

Of course, this is not the first time that I have been deprived of my rights. I have frequently tasted the savor of discrimination. However, none of these events have lessened my deep desire to serve my country, which I deeply love. I have been deprived of entering a high school for gifted students despite being accepted on the entrance exam, and I have been deprived of participating in the final exams of three high school grades because of being detained and interrogated for providing services to children in deprived areas of Shiraz and performing humanitarian activities.

Last year, I was completely ready to take part in the national university entrance exam. Unfortunately, the Evaluation and Assessment Organization informed me that similarly to other Baha’i students, I would not be allowed to continue my studies. Many times I visited their offices, just to be told the same thing.

In February, I found another way of entering university and circumventing the barriers of the Evaluation Organization. This required that I study for one term at Sahand Industrial University in Tabriz, and if I could succeed, I would be accepted as a university student.

I enrolled in the first semester and successfully completed my courses. I was among the fifteen “provisional students” out of several hundred who was then accepted as a full-time student into the university. Therefore, I registered in the medical engineering field for the second term.

The registration form had a religion column with multiple choices and I marked “other religions.” However, every student other than me received a student ID card. Several times I went to the university administrative offices inquiring about my student ID card. Finally at the time of final exams, the University President told me to take final exams without my ID card, which he said had been issued, but was at the security section. He told me to follow up on the issue after the exams.

I passed all the exams, and like other students, used the university website to register for the third term and select my courses. From the beginning of the semester, though, all information about my courses and registration disappeared. Since all the classes were online, this meant that I was deprived of further education. Several times I contacted responsible authorities to resolve the problem. However, every time they deferred the case to a later time.

Eventually, on March 3, 2009, I could not enter the university website any longer, and I encountered this message: “This user has been deactivated.”

Immediately, I contacted the responsible authorities and they told me that it had nothing to do with them and that I had to go to the Evaluation and Assessment Organization, as this body had deactivated my education license.

According to Article 20 of Iran’s Constitution, every citizen of this nation has the right to all human, political, economical, social, and cultural provisions. Article 23 of the same document prohibits investigation of beliefs, and prohibits inquiries and discrimination on the basis of one’s religion. In Article 30, the government is stated to be responsible for providing higher education facilities to the entire nation. All these provisions of the law are in sharp contrast with the actions of the actual responsible authorities, and their treatment and decisions with respect to minority groups.

Therefore, the question is raised: Who is responsible for this injustice and lawlessness? Where in the Constitution do we find support for the authorities’ actions?

As an Iranian citizen, I love my sacred homeland to the point that I am willing to sacrifice my life for the exaltation of this noble nation. My highest and most cherished wish is to use my education in service to this country. I am determined to use every moment of my life in the path of service to mankind, especially to my beloved Iran and Iranians.

Has the time not come for an equitable look at the Baha’i community, to put aside every prejudice, and to give back their rights to Baha’i youth?

[Source: http://hrairan.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=694:654&catid=160:6954&Itemid=368. Translation Iran Press Watch.]



Minoo Expelled from University in Semnan

Posted: 18 Mar 2009 04:07 PM PDT

Editor’s Note: On Saturday, March 7, 2009, several Persian online journals carried this report, which appears below in translation.

On March 1, 2009, the government-run University of Semnan expelled Miss Minoo Shahriari, a student majoring in economics, on the grounds that she was a Baha’i.
In an interview with the Committee that pursues the right of Baha’is to education on behalf of Iran’s Committee for Human Rights, she described her expulsion in these terms: “I was a student in macroeconomics, and about 5 weeks had passed since our second term classes had started. Before the semester had started, I had been threatened that if I did not write one of the approved religions in the form and insisted on continuing my education, then severe consequences awaited me, including preventing me from entering university, and if I were to enter, that other students and professors would have no relations with me. They said that I would be so harassed that I would be compelled to resign from the university.
Disregarding all these threats, I was eager to attend classes and showed my eagerness.
There was no particular problem, until one day I was told that I was no longer on the class roster. Officials in charge of registration and student files swore that they had not changed my student status.
Since previously I had been threatened many times by the president of the university and his deputy, I thought that the latest tactic was to scare me and they would not follow through with their threats [and dismiss me permanently].
To pursue the matter, I went to the central office of the university, but the person in charge completely ignored me — on purpose he would not even look at me. Eventually, he only said, “You must leave the university and Semnan at once.If you have a complaint, you can register it with the judiciary in the city.”
It should be noted that recently, with much greater intensity the authorities are expelling the few Baha’i students who had been able to participate in the college entrance exam and had enrolled at universities.
[Sources: http://hra-iran.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=647:567&catid=160:6954&Itemid=368 and http://www.iranpressnews.com/source/055658.htm. Translation by Iran Press Watch.]

Posted: 18 Mar 2009 04:02 PM PDT

Editor’s Note: The following account is by Faran Khavan-Yaghma, a Baha’i student recently expelled from a university in Mazandaran because of his religion. This account is provided below in translation by Iran Press Watch.

In the name of truth and justice!
After my Numerical Analysis class on Saturday, March 7, 2009, our esteemed professor read everyone’s name on the class register, but I realized that my name was no longer on his list. I went to the university’s main office and asked for an explanation. They responded that my record had been closed and marked “Termination of Education”.
To pursue the matter, I went to the central office of the university and spoke with the person in charge of registration and students’ affairs. I inquired about the change of status on my record and was told, “The Security section has instructed us to remove your name from the list of students and to terminate your enrollment. They have not given us a reason.”
However, he continued, “To get a clarification on this issue and learn the details, you must refer to the deputy administrator of this office, as he will be able to tell you the reason.” I went to the deputy’s office, but apparently he was in a meeting and unable to speak with me. Therefore, it was agreed that I would return the following day for this discussion.
Next day I went to the same office to see the deputy, but once again he was in a meeting and unable to meet with me. I waited from 9 AM to 12 noon for his meeting to end. Finally, we met and I inquired about the situation and reason for what I had been told at the campus. It was interesting that he had no idea about any of these events, and asked for my name and particulars so he could pursue the matter.
I then went to the official in charge of registration and informed him of the deputy’s lack of knowledge. In response, very briefly, he stated, “The reason for your dismissal is that you are a Baha’i.”
He then contacted others in the office to advise the deputy about the reason for my expulsion from the university.
Eventually, despite my efforts to pursue the matter, on Saturday, March 14, 2009, according to the deputy administrator of the university’s central office, the Organization for Evaluation and Assessment issued formal instructions for my dismissal based on the reason that I am a Baha’i.
Yes, indeed. Solely for being a Baha’i, after 3 years of education and the completion of 6 semesters in pure mathematics, I was dismissed from Mazandaran University.
A society with a slogan that calls for unity of hearts, a government that aims at increasing friendship and kindness among souls, whose primary pillar is based on the objective of creating a society of compassionate justice, and which (according to what has appeared in the nation’s Constitution and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights) believes in freedom of belief and speech — how soon has it forgotten the light of justice lit by Imam Ali and has instead unsheathed the sword of tyranny!
Is this the meaning of freedom of speech and belief?
Is this the meaning of justice, compassion, kindness and unity among hearts?
Is this the meaning of service in our society?
Is this how this society intends to establish justice and equity in its midst?
You be the judge!
Faran Khavan-Yaghma.


My Expulsion from University

Posted: 08 Mar 2009 01:41 PM PDT

sinadanaBy Sina Dana

Editor's Note: Iran Press Watch was saddened to learn of the recent expulsion of three Baha'i university students (http://www.iranpresswatch.org/2009/03/expulsion-3-sahand/), and has hastened to publish below in translation an account shared by one of the three youth.

It was late in September 2008, around 11 a.m. in the morning, when my brother, who was himself expelled from university because of being a Baha'i, contacted me and told me that because of my selected major, I had been accepted in the Medical Engineering field at Sahand University in Tabriz.

I was thrilled and excited that I could continue my studies in a public university and become a contributing member of society and a true servant to my homeland. I referred to the university website and noted the registration requirements. In accordance with the relevant rules and regulations, I went to the university on the specified day. The registration form asked for the applicant to identify his religion, but fortunately the multiple choice block allowed for "other religion", which I selected.

Registration was completed without any difficulties and I was accepted as a freshmen student. I had good and positive feelings, since I could study along with other students from all over Iran with different backgrounds and learning experiences.

It went in this way until the university began to issue student identity cards. Similarly to other students, I awaited for my student card. After some time, however, I noticed that all other students had received their card, but I had not. So, I went to the responsible officials and they told me that they did not know the reason for this delay. However, they promised me that they would follow up with this and stated emphatically that this delay would cause me no problem, and that I would be able to take my exams without a student ID card.

Despite all these events, I started my first term exams and thanked God that I had been able to finish the first semester.

With my completion of the first semester, it was time to select courses for the second term. Like all other students, I went through the course selection process and started the second term.

From the very first day of the second semester, when I checked the university website, there was no information about my course registration. That indicated that I could not participate in classes like everybody else and could not continue the normal process.

Several times, I contacted the responsible school officials and they stated they had not been told anything about my situation. Each time, they expressed themselves in words that made me confident that I could proceed with my courses like other students.

However, on March 3, 2009, even my identification disappeared from the university website. When I tried to log into the site, the notice came up, "This user has been deactivated." When I saw this message, I contacted the university.After several hours, Mrs. Cheraghi, the person in charge of the operation and the President of the university, eventually answered my phone calls and said to me that the Organization for Educational Evaluation and Assessment had removed my name. She added that only by following up through this organization could I regain admission. When I asked for the reasons behind my expulsion, the President put down the receiver without giving a response.

Is this really the end of my education? Am I going to be another Iranian Baha'i youth, similar to the thousands of other Iranian Baha'i youth, who have deprived of higher education? Have I been expelled from the university with no reason or evidence solely because of the whim of the Organization for Assessment - an organization whose role should be to empower individuals to attend universities, and not to close such windows of opportunity to them?

What answers can be given to these questions? Should I be deprived of continuing my education in this country, because my beliefs are different? What would be the reaction of the other students who are now studying at this university? Would another student in the second term face the same challenging question by taking the seat of Sina Dana? Does shutting off any dialogue as easily as cutting off a phone contact end everything?

The inquiring mind of youth will find answers to all these questions, even if no response is given!

Sina Dana,

One of the three expelled students from Sahand University.

[Online source: http://www.agahee.org/content/view/757/45/. Iran Press Watch is grateful to Sina Dana for sharing this account for publication with this site. Translation by Iran Press Watch.]


Minoo Shahriyari: The Story of my Expulsion from University

Posted: 19 Apr 2009 04:37 AM PDT

shahriyariEditor’s Note: The story of Minoo’s expulsion from Semnan University was previously reported by Iran Press Watch. We’re now pleased to share in translation the following account by her. It should be recalled that Minoo Shahriyari was a student of economics at Semnan State University and was expelled for being a Baha’i on March 1, 2009. Her dismissal was solely based on her religious belief. The following is the account of her ordeal. A final word from the Editor appears at the end.

By Minoo Shahriyari

As I entered the university, the atmosphere became tense. I was told that I had been expelled due to being a Baha’i. Yet, this last visit to the university became memorable. This time the teaching vice president of the university had a different look. He respectfully greeted me and my father and handed my documents to me.

He had not ordered my expulsion. He only had to carry it out. The implications of this order affect all aspects of my academic career. Perhaps carrying out this order was not easy for him either. Is it possible that the conscience of any decent Iranian would accept the expulsion of any student for her faith? Doesn’t the teaching vice president privately ask what threat this girl poses to the university? What had this girl done which was against the laws of the Islamic Republic?

If I and the other Baha’i students do not pose any threat, who should be defending us? Who would be better than the faculty and educators within universities?

How did you remain silent, and how did you kill my academic life? Are you really proud of your service? Your denial of the right to education to young Baha’is and others contradicts the proud history of our ancient country. How can it be explained to people around the world, and to inquisitive youth, that the authorities who deny this right consider themselves followers of Islam? How would you answer history? More important, how will you answer God?

It is up to readers of history to judge. It is up to the children of the teaching vice president of Semnan University to judge. It is up to true children of Iran to judge. It is up to you.

Isn’t Imam Hussein our example? What is his message for you and me? What do we think about every Muharram? Did he close his eyes to truth? Did he sell his dignity for a low price? Did he sit and cry over injustice or did he stand up? Fourteen centuries ago Imam Hussein not only did not carry out unjust commands, but He stood up against injustice, foregoing wealth, pride, His children, and life itself. He hoisted the banner of justice against the heights of darkness and prejudice. Now, what is the true character of a follower of Hussein? Will your tears mean anything this Ashura [commemoration of the death of Imam Husyan]?

I accepted that the teaching vice president had treated me coolly in our previous encounters because he was busy and slightly ill. It would be fair to record both encounters in the annals of Iranian history. The manner and acts of the teaching vice president affected me. It made me ponder whether injustice can ever be uprooted in our beloved Iran as long as it is acceptable to say, “I am only following orders.”

Yesterday, my wish was to be admitted to university. Today I was expelled from the university, and I may never be able to study at a university. Today, however, I have another wish. Today, in every corner of the world, the scourge of injustice has scarred millions of oppressed souls, and has raised their cries of pain. My hope is that first, every Iranian man and woman will condemn any injustice, and then, that they bravely refuse to become tools for carrying out unjust orders. My hope is that whatever we preach about justice, and whatever we read in books about justice, will one day be realized in Iran. I am fully aware that I cannot do this by myself. Today, everyone should strive to bring about justice.

Editor’s Reflections: The complexities of the moral issues in such stories and questions are immense. In a way, the oppressed person can relax, because he or she is the object of forces she cannot avert or deny; the person with the real dilemma is someone like the university administrator, who has a choice either to abet the regime or to refuse. Refusal is very difficult, as it puts one’s self and one’s family at risk for the sake of someone who has a completely different belief system. Such a person risks becoming a complete outcast, hated by everyone they know, by all their friends and family, for the sake of someone whom they don’t know. At least the Baha’is are respected and loved by family and friends for their steadfastness. Such dilemmas tear people, and societies, apart.

Iran Press Watch welcomes reflection by its reader on this issue.

[Posted on Wednesday, April 8, 2009, at: http://hrairan.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=825:354&catid=160:6954&Itemid=368. Translation by Iran Press Watch.]


No comments:

Post a Comment